Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Steve Miller Band: "Extended Versions" (2002)

I found this one at K-Mart in the summer of 2003, in the $4.99 section. I'd never seen it before, and it didn't really say when or where it was recoded, but the tracklisting on the back was more than interesting, so it went into the shopping basket, alongside the potato chips, socks and cat food.

Once at home, I slid it into the CD player in the living room, and turned up the volume. It kicked off with "The Joker", moving onto "Fly Like An Eagle", and then going on to some pretty cookin' versions of "Living In The USA" and "You Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash". At the end of the set, Steve introduced the members of the band, which I immediately recognized from being around the 1976 period, so I knew I'd picked up a good one.

Actually, it was a composite of a 2-CD live set that I'd seen floating around, from two different shows, including a 1973 show from Washington D.C., when they were a compact 4-piece band, with Steve being the only guitarist in the band. On my next trip to Circuit City, I found that, and added that one to the collection.

Some of those CD's in the Extended Collection series are actually pretty good, despite the cheesiness of their presentation. This is a good one to start with, and should be pretty easy to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment